Organic Food and Beverages
Buy Organics: Where and How?
The Best Tasting Berries Come From
Growing strawberry plants is fairly easy and a great deal of fun for children and adults a like. The wonderful aspect of strawberries is that they return year after year, giving you fresh fruit and a rather pretty landscape item. For every strawberry plant you put in the garden, you can get a quart of strawberries.
Strawberry Facts: How to Buy Strawberry Plants
If youre standing at the local nursery looking at strawberry plants, you may have no idea what sets one type apart from another. Do you want to organic strawberry plants? June bearing? Day Neutral? Ever-bearing? Lets look at all four of these options individually:
- Organic Strawberry plants: An organic strawberry plant is one thats been nurtured from seed on a certified farm that uses no pesticides, no chemical fertilizers, no radiation and no genetic engineering. This creates a very 'green' / eco-friendly plant.
If you have previously treated soil with commercial products, the organic plant may find it difficult to adjust. In this case you could opt for container planting using a fresh batch of soil that has certified organic labeling. The only down-side of container planting is that it doesnt allow your strawberries to send out runners that will grow more plants. But keeping them in the container will help crowd them and you should have more berry yield per plant.
- June Bearing Strawberries: If youre looking for a one-crop strawberry plant, the June bearing strawberry provides a hearty crop in June. This is also when the berry sends out runners. June bearing plants typically yield a good-sized fruit.
- Ever-bearing Strawberries: This strawberry plant gives you minimally two harvests, and often three. It does not, however, give you runners from which to grow many new plants. So this particular berry might be ideal for container gardening and limited space gardens.
- Day Neutral Strawberries: These plants provide you with fruits throughout your areas growing season. The berries are smaller than June bearing, and like ever-bearing, these dont give you a lot of runners.
Sowing Strawberries: Growing Strawberry Plants
In growing strawberry plants, you need a space that receives full sunlight. Additionally strawberries need well-drained soil and a pH balance of about 6. As soon as your spring soil stops being soggy, thats the time to get the strawberry plants into the ground.
Strawberries benefit from good organic compost, and from regular weeding so that they can establish a hearty bed. If youre growing June Bearing strawberries give them about 18" between each plant and a good four feet between rows of berries. That way theres plenty of room for your runners to begin growing for the following year. June bearing beds wont need to be replaced for about 5 years (watch for their yield to drop dramatically).
By comparison the ever-bearing and day neutral strawberries seem to like being planted in a raised bed (hill style). Leave about 12" between the plants. If you nip any runners that develop youll generally get ever-bearing and day neutral plants to yield for about 3 years before they need to be replaced.
Once you have your plants in the ground, growing strawberry plants is really fairly low maintenance. Make sure they remain well watered but not soggy.
Strawberry Facts: Gathering the Harvest
Its best to let your berries ripen fully on the vine for the most flavor and sweetness.
When youre ready to take them off the plant, do so carefully. The plant is somewhat delicate (try using pruning scissors).
Once harvested, keep the berries cool and dry until youre ready to use them.
It's best to eat them the same day as picked if possible. If not, try placing a wet paper towel over top of the bowl or plate of strawberries; the moisture will keep them from drying out.
Sweet Strawberry Facts
Did you know that each strawberry has about 200 seeds or that strawberries have been used in folk medicine since Roman times to treat blood diseases and fevers? Here are some other fun strawberry facts:
- Masons used strawberries as a symbol of flawlessness and virtue
- Strawberries are considered a favorite fruit for the 'wee folk' in various parts of Europe. If left strawberries as gifts, the myth is that they may return the favor with work around the home or farm.
- Strawberries have been used for hundreds of years in beauty preparations designed to make skin look younger.
- Strawberries belong to the rose family botanically.
- Strawberries have antioxidant qualities and are high in potassium, fiber and Vitamin C.
- Most Americans eat over 3 pounds of strawberries each a year.
- And last but not least, the French regarded strawberries as a potent aphrodisiac (use carefully with chocolate!)
Strawberries are a delicious, juicy and sweet fruit. When grown organically, strawberries have an even deeper, richer flavor and taste - and organic gardening methods are better for you, your family and the environment. Grow your strawberries organically!
Strawberry Facts: Strawberries are a Delicious Low-Calorie Snack
One of the most important strawberry facts is the number of calories per strawberry! Did you know that one organic strawberry only has about 2 calories? But who can only eat one? One cup of whole strawberries is 46 calories (and one cup of sliced strawberries is about 53 calories - more because you can fit more sliced berries into one cup). This makes delicious tasting strawberries a real low calorie treat or dessert!
If you are trying to maintain your weight, or lose weight, we recommend a healthy diet, lots of water and regular daily exercise. Eating healthy organic fruits and vegetables (about 5 cups a day) will also help to fill you up, give you the fiber you need and keep the calorie count low (unless you add butter to your vegetables and ice cream with your strawberries).
We recommend supplementing your weight maintenance or loss program with a product that is from all-herbal ingredients: EcoSlim. This product contains herbs like Bladderwrack, Cleavers, Malabar Tamarind, Dandelion, Licorice, Centaury and more.
This holistic remedy supports your healthy weight loss efforts, promotes nutrient absorption for improved energy, helps your digestive system break down fats more efficiently and provides supplements that will help your body more effectively metabolize sugars * Supports healthy weight loss efforts
EcoSlim does not contain any artificial stimulants. It is approved by the FDA.
What's New: Grow, Shop, Cook and Eat Organic
[?] Subscribe To
Disclaimer: The content of this page is an opinion and is not meant to be medical advice. We do not make any therapeutic claims for herbal supplements. This site is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in providing medical advice or professional services. Please consult with your doctor, health care practioner or professional service provider for specific problems or advice. Many recipes have been tested however some are submissions: no guarantee is given that the ingredients or directions provided are correct and complete.
Copyright 2008-2016 Voice Marketing Inc. All rights reserved.